Saturday, February 6, 2010

Finding Strength

As a parent of a special needs child, I've adapted to the challenges we face on a day to day basis. I may not live a normal life by most people standards, but I've eventually found my own normal. I've learned to live be plan life around my child's struggles. Even so, some days are more challenging than others.

Today, has been very difficult for me. Today, the magnitude of my son's obstacles seemed a little more prominent than most days. Today his needs were a little greater, and I was physically tired. I found myself feeling inpatient, unequipped and stressed. Today, I mourned for that lack of normalcy, whatever that may be.

But I had to remember that what I was experiencing were emotions, and emotions are temporary. I allowed myself to be sad for a brief period of time, but then I had to move on. I know that I cannot allow my feelings to affect my attitude and my outward interactions with my children. If there’s one thing that I’ve learned about my son, it’s that he senses, hears, and sees much more than I realize. If he can sense negativity from me, he will respond negatively himself. As a mom, my attitudes and actions make a huge impact on my household. So if I want to see change in the atmosphere, I have to lead it.

Of course, This is easier to say than to do. Sometimes our situations feel so desperate and tremendously difficult for us to face that we just feel helpless. No one expects us to have it all together. In fact, the more that we admit our weaknesses, the more grace we will receive.

2 Corinthians 12:9 says,"My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

So our desperation, in essence is good news. Because when we can't do it, He can!  If you need strength, ask Him and He will strengthen you. If you need a miracle, take comfort because God is a miracle worker!  Every problem we face is an opportunity for God's love, power and grace to be seen in us and through us.

Just tell God your need and ask him for help. God will not hold back. Romans 8:32 says "He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?" Jesus said, "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you."

If you are feeling like I was today, don't try to bear the burden of parenting on your own. Let God's grace do a miracle in your life. Let Him step in and bring you strength, wisdom, help, encouragement... whatever you need! Just ask.

1 comments:

Jewel said...

AWESOME Jenni! Great job on the layout. I'm going to have to come back later to read what you're saying because I need to go get ready for bible study:)

Post a Comment