Friday, February 26, 2010

Miracle #1 - Andrew Speaks

Andrew was about 9 months old when he began to say his first words. Then shortly after turning 1 year old, he stopped talking and uttering sounds all together.  I don't remember the exact day that he said his first word, nor do I remember the exact day that he stopped, but I will never forget the day that he spoke again after many months of silence. He was two and a half years old.

For a year and half, my son hadn't spoken. For months, we faithfully attended speech therapy. Week after week we would go, and nothing had come of it. While many children with Autism remain non-verbal their entire lives, I always knew that Andrew would speak again. I even had dreams about it on many occasions. In my dreams, my little boy would come up to me, look me in the eyes, and intently speak with perfect utterance. 

Despite my faith and expectancy, I was still caught by surprise the day I actually heard his voice again. It was just another day with nothing profoundly different about it than the days before. Andrew was sitting on the floor in his room with his Home Educator and I.  We were playing with a gear toy, when it would stop working she would prompt him to say “go" and then start it up again. After many trials, we were about to give up, and then, it happened. 

 "Go!"

The first time he spoke it was so quiet, that it was almost a whisper, and I wondered if I had really heard correctly. Then he did it again! When I heard his sweet and quiet little voice chant; “Go!” I was overwhelmed.

It was one of those moments in life that is so wonderful that you look back and think; 'Did that really happen?' I couldn’t wait to tell Nathan about what our little Andrew did. I also didn’t hesitate to call Grandma and Grandpa and let them in on the excitement as well. We were all so proud of him.

That day was an eye opener for me. The little boy trapped inside the outer shell of Autism was finding his way out. He was saying, “There’s more to me than you see.” And that’s how it’s been ever since.  He continues to surprise us by learning new things, doing new things, saying new things almost daily. 

I would like to say that it’s because I’m an incredible mom who is armed with patience and a special touch. But truly the only thing that I can take credit for is casting all my cares on God and putting my trust in Him. I have sown many nights awake in bed, praying out the cries of my heart. I have been presented with countless opportunities where I could choose to either believe the present circumstances, or stand in faith and believe in my God. He has continually shown His faithfulness. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment