Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Beginning of a Journey


Through the discovery that my son had Autism, I went searching for answers. I talked to therapists, doctors and teachers. I searched the internet, and read books, hoping that somewhere, I would find someone who could give me some hope for my child. I didn't find much encouragement.

In fact, I found the opposite; doctors and therapists couldn't offer me any promise of future, and some even discouraged me from thinking positively. I soon discovered that I needed to guard myself from other people's opinions. While doctor's may know a lot and mean well, they simply don't know everything. My hope is not rooted in medical research, advances or treatments. My hope is rooted in the ultimate healer.

I arrived at this conclusion because there is one thing that I know to be true; God is good.  God said in Jeremiah 29:11 says; for I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you hope and a future. My head started spinning the more that I dared to imagine a world where my son was completely whole.  What would it look like? How would it happen? How would we arrive there?

My first prayer for Andrew was a simple one. “God I don’t know what your will is just yet. But I believe you will show me. I pray for your very best for my little boy, and nothing less. I pray that you will give me wisdom and help me to be the best Mom I can be for him.” ...And so it began!

It didn't take long for me to discover that God's best is healing. I know that this is a bold and controversial thing to say. Even other Christians may disagree. My faith in healing is straight out of the bible, and I've seen it work.

If that's not reason enough to believe, let's think about the alternative: Accept the diagnosis as a life sentence rather than an obstacle to overcome.  Do this and you will find yourself without hope.

Proverbs 13:12 says "Hope deferred makes the heart grow sick, but when desire comes, it's a tree of life." Without hope, it's easy to take on a victim mentality, we become burdened and heavy. Our focus switches from being an effective parent, to just getting by day to day.

The one thing I will NEVER do is give up hope in Jesus to heal my son. I want to see my son through God's eyes.

In the days ahead, my future posts will be building off of these principles of faith. I will share scriptures, devotions, testimonies and welcome feedback. Will you join me?

0 comments:

Post a Comment